The past day has been a complete whirlwind of learning and figuring out why things are going wrong. We built a Wikipedia clone with the following features:
A homepage that lists all the pages in the Wiki The ability to create new pages Page searching Tagging We started from the very beginning – a blank text editor, in which we required a bunch of modules, set up our middleware, enabled our Nunjucks rendering engine and created simple templates, and created and connected to our Postgres database.
I don’t understand how it’s almost the end of the week already. Time is literally flying. We’ve spent the entirety of the past two days focused on databases, which has been a nice blast to the past – as a relatively recent data analtyics consultant, it’s been nice working with SQL again, albeit in a slightly different manner. We started Wednesday with manipulating the IMDB database with SQLite. We did a lot of selecting, counting, joining, grouping, and sorting.
We built a Twitter clone app with Node and Express, and wanted it to have the following:
A place to store data (nothing fancy yet – just an object will do) A homepage that lists all tweets from all users A profile page that displays a specific user’s tweets A form to post new tweets (and as an extra bonus, enable it to update in real-time for all clients connected to the server at the time) Initializing the Project First, we set up a twitter-js directory, and ran git init and npm init.
I started off my day with watching a fantastic talk about event loops, and then briefly looking at a Code Wars problem. I’ve done a few Code Wars problems in the past, but we’ve now been incentivized — if we reach 4 kyu (for those who aren’t familiar, that just refers to a certain level) by the end of Junior Phase, we get a cool shirt. And a lot of knowledge and practice.